Thursday, February 18, 2010

What Am I Reading for My 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge?

Now that I’m finished with a delightful re-reading of Georgette Heyer’s The Talisman Ring, it’s time to choose another “new” book to read. My book of choice is Easterfield, by Anna Buttimore Jones. The setting in 1850 England is one thing that attracted my interest in this book. As you’ll see from the book blurb below, the heroine, Catherine, encounters a Mormon missionary in Lancashire England in that year. One of my ancestors on my mother’s side, Robert Clarkson, was baptized into the LDS Church in Hull (Yorkshire), England on February 24, 1850. Interesting coincidence in dates, don’t you think? Well, I did! Although not set in the same country or shire of my ancestor’s birth, I nevertheless look forward to learning more about his native country during this important year in his life, as I read Easterfield.

Back cover blurb:

When Mr. Wilson, a Mormon missionary, arrives in the rural English town of Easterfield, Lancashire, in 1850, Catherine Waters finds herself intrigued by both the message he brings and his relationship to her reclusive and aristocratic neighbour. Through Mr. Wilson, Catherine is drawn into the strange world of Easterfield Hall, where both her cousin and sister find forbidden love, and Catherine uncovers secrets that change her entire outlook on their peaceful life. After Mr. Wilson is called back to Utah, the dashing Dr. Davenport is on hand to offer love, security, and help in piecing together Catherine’s fragmenting life. As she experiences gut-wrenching fear, hopeless love, and the loss of all she once thought important, she learns that the things that really matter are eternal.

Stop by next Tuesday, and I'll share a Tuesday Teaser with you!

If you'd like to join my 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge, its not too late! Click here and here for more information. And remember, there are prizes involved if you join us! :-)


No comments: