Monday, February 8, 2010

What Am I Reading for My 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge?

Due to going through one of my "I can't sleep" phases this past week, I finished Apollo's Child, by Joan Smith, a "new" book for my 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge in record time for me! I don't usually review books for my reading challenge, but since Apollo's Child had NO reviews for it on Goodreads, I took the time to write one. Here's what I wrote:

"A YA book describing the life of a young man named Philo, a student of the ancient physician, Hippocrates, from whom the Hippocratic Oath that doctors take even today originated. Extremely well told, both funny and sad, though very occasionally, the author's terse style can leave her meaning slightly obscure. But that is a minor quibble. An enjoyable and painless way for young adults (and even adults) to learn more about life in ancient Greece and the impact of an ancient healer on today's medical knowledge and traditions. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end!

"Sadly, this book is currently out of print, but used copies can be found on Amazon or by Googling the title."

For my next "old" book, I've chosen a book that, happily, is still in print: The Talisman Ring, by Georgette Heyer. (Note: This is not the cover on my version, which I bought in 1976 to replace the copy my sister insisted on taking to college with her.)

Here's the back cover blurb:

One of Heyer's funniest Regency romances, and one of readers' favorites.

An impetuous young lady and a fugitive nobleman…
When spirited Eustacie stumbles into a band of smugglers, she is delighted to be having an adventure at last. Their leader, young heir Ludovic Lavenham, is in hiding, falsely accused of murder. Pursued by the law, Eustacie and Ludovic find refuge at an unassuming country inn.


And the delightfully sensible couple who try to keep them out of trouble...
The resourceful Miss Sarah Thane and the clear-thinking Sir Tristram Shield gamely endeavor to prevent Ludovic's arrest and Eustacie's ruin as the four conspire to recover the missing talisman ring that will clear Ludovic's name.








Stop by on Tuesday, and I'll share a Tuesday Teaser with you!



If you'd like to join my 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge, its not too late! Click here and here for more information. And remember, there are prizes involved if you join us! :-)


No comments: