Sunday, February 7, 2010

Summary Sunday

Some writers I know write much faster than I do. Some writers I know write slower. Some writers I know write more hours a day than I do. Some writers I know write less. One thing I've learned. I cannot successfully complete a new book if I worry about comparing myself to others, therefore...I write the number of words a day that I write. I write the number of hours a week that I write. When my efforts feel so small that I sometimes wonder if it's worth it to continue, I take this verse as my mantra:

"Out of small things proceeds that which is great." (Doctrine & Covenants 64:33)

Here is a weekly summary of my often "small" writing efforts. And just for fun, I'm throwing in one "new" sentence a day from my daily writing. These sentences may or may not make the final editing cut when all is said and done, so enjoy them while you can!

Thanks for joining me on my journey!

(And my other motto is: Some days are better than others! as you'll see below:)

Monday: 1026 words

Sentence: She understood this reaction to Acelet's touch no better, only that it shook her in an utterly bewildering way and that for the space of a heartbeat, her own fingers longed to twist themselves about and entwine themselves with his.

Tuesday: 610 words

Sentence: The merchants, too, were shuffling restlessly when the mad Nildred abruptly died and Janeta found herself rather murkily thrust into marriage with a rich, old, jealous lord who immediately thrust her into yet another tower to guard her from youthful and handsome rivals.

Wednesday: 1161 words

Sentence (brace yourself, it's a long one!): Though he sat perfectly still while Bricot flung himself dramatically around the room, flapping his arms like a hawk, clapping his hand to his breast in mimicry of Janeta's palpitating heart, striking a noble pose for the knight, and wringing his hands together with an exaggeratedly fiendish sneer as Janeta's husband plotted the young lovers' downfall, Acelet's lips moved silently, mouthing along Bricot's tale word for word.

Thursday: 1018 words

Sentence: Joslin tilted the comb closer to the light of the fire and saw that what she had first taken for tiny flowers among the garlands were, instead tiny seashells.

Friday: 351 words (due to distractions, some good, some just...distractions...and needing to stop to do some research)

Sentence: Surely men would take him more seriously at a glance if they saw him now, rather than waiting to be convinced by the speed and force of his staff?

Saturday: 435 words

Sentence: "But the sight would give our poor innkeeper the fright of his life, don't you think?"

If anyone would like to start a Summary Sunday on their own blog, you're welcome to share my idea. All I ask is that you link back to my original blog link. Maybe we can start a new meme (rhymes with "cream") for working writers!


No comments: