Sunday, August 2, 2015

Summary Sunday

I thought I saw the end in sight for this first draft of Courting Cassandry, only to be thwarted by a character this week who decided to throw an unexpected wrench into the works. I argued with her, I tried to ignore her, I struggled to resist, but in the end she defeated me and I wrote the scene the way she demanded. Whether it makes the cut in revisions and stays in the story is yet an open question, but don't tell her that I said that. J

I still think the ending is relatively near. In the meantime, here are some new sentences from my work this week on Courting Cassandry.

Mini-Cast of Characters

Gerolt: my fifty-something hero
Cassandry: my forty-something heroine
Egelina: Cassandry's teenaged daughter
Rauffe: Gerolt's teenaged son


Monday: The wounded wife, the benumbed mother, the broken woman had all burned away in the brightness of Gerolt’s love.

Tuesday: She took the circlet from Egelina, and when her daughter did not answer but sat gazing at her mother with wide, watery eyes, Cassandry took the parchment, too.

Wednesday: Some flicker of awareness had awakened in Rauffe’s eyes and he rolled onto his side, curling up in a ball and groaning out, “It burns. It burns.”

Thursday: "I threw the container away in the moat so that no one could trace it back to me.” (And no, I'm not going to tell you which character says this. )


Friday: If he ceased to fight the pain, if he succumbed to the refuge of full unconsciousness, Cassandry did not know if she would ever be able to rouse him from it.

No comments: