Saturday, May 7, 2011

My trip to the Utah Renaissance Festival

My sister took me to the Utah Renaissance Festival for my birthday this year! Though quite a bit smaller than the Arizona RenFest, it was still quite fun. Their regular site got flooded out in April, so they had to find a substitute "home" for 2011, but I think they did quite well. Here are a few highlights from my visit.

First we stopped to visit the Little Chapel of Miracles and watched a friendship "handfesting" there.



Next we visited inside the Little Chapel of Miracles. It was too dark inside to snap too many pictures, but I did manage this one of the bible. Maybe I'll work a bible like this into a future medieval story of mine.


Next we watched the Oak Hills Vaulters doing balancing acts on horseback!



From there we stopped to visit a good author friend of mine, Anna Del C. Dye. Check out her books on her website!


I just thought this was a pretty shop flag at the faire.


This angel's name is Serene. This is where lost children go to find their parents at the faire.


If you get hungry, one of your many eating options at the faire is "The Holy Crepe"!


There was a nifty pirate ship...


...sometimes filled with pirates...


...including Captain Jack!


Here's Queen Elizabeth and part of her court.


And last but not least, what's a Renaissance Festival without jousting!





Thank you, Dear Sister, for giving me such a great birthday present this year! Huzzah!

8 comments:

Julie said...

I've always though a renaissance festival would be nice in a place with grass and trees.

Anna del C. Dye said...

Julie usually is, but this year we got flooded and have to move the festival to this other area in two weeks. It was hard.
In years pass the place that house the Ren & Fantasy fairs is full of trees, a pond, small hills and greenery, all natural to the place.
In all, this years place is a very good place and the people makes up for the difference.
Thank you Joyce for coming to see me. I loved to meet you in person.
Anna del C.
Author of "The Silent Warrior Trilogy"
http://www.annadelc.com

Susan G. Haws said...

It looks like you had a great time. The grass and trees look nice too.

Tina Scott, author, artist said...

Happy Birthday, Joyce! It was fun seeing you Friday at Storymakers, and I know you had fun at the festival. Where's the picture of you eating a turkey leg?

Debra Brown said...

I've only been to one Renaissance Faire, but loved it! Hope to go again.

Naomi said...

I must admit I'm insanely jealous. I've lived in Utah most of my life and never got a change to go before I (My brother did go a few years back but since he went on a date he refused to take me with him. lolz) I'm glad you had fun and thanks for the pictures!

Lynnette Jalufka said...

Great pictures! It makes me want to go.

Heidi L. Murphy said...

I've been to plenty of medieval wars (over 30) and fought in most of them, but still have yet to go to a Ren fair while it was actually open. We went once to see a friends' booth before the opening but he wasn't there and the booth wasn't finished. Someday it would be fun to go when it was up and running...;o)