Sunday, March 21, 2010

Summary Sunday

Some writers I know write much faster than I do. Some writers I know write slower. Some writers I know write more hours a day than I do. Some writers I know write less. One thing I've learned. I cannot successfully complete a new book if I worry about comparing myself to others, therefore...I write the number of words a day that I write. I write the number of hours a week that I write. When my efforts feel so small that I sometimes wonder if it's worth it to continue, I take this verse as my mantra:

"Out of small things proceeds that which is great." (Doctrine & Covenants 64:33)

Here is a weekly summary of my often "small" writing efforts. And just for fun, I'm throwing in one "new" sentence a day from my daily writing. These sentences may or may not make the final editing cut when all is said and done, so enjoy them while you can!

Thanks for joining me on my journey!

Monday: retooling old chapter

New sentence: By the time Dowsabel squiggled away from the curve of her arm and leaned eagerly forward again, Joslin realized she had missed a critical part of Acelet's song, for Raoulin had departed King Arthur's court and was engaged in a mighty battle with a giant who had been harassing the king's fair lands.


Tuesday: retooling old chapter


New sentence: Acelet looked painfully wrenched out of his dream.


Wednesday: still retooling


New sentence: That she had been seduced by the tale for even an instant galled her, and she showed now her disdain of it with a toss of her head, though he could not have known her gesture's cause.


Thursday: 1069 words


SentenceAcelet stared, torn between incredulity—for he'd seen the proud way she'd recoiled from touching the low-born jongleur—and anger that someone, anyone else had been threading his fingers through her fascinating tangles.


Friday: 1023 words


Sentence: "Is he so desperate to prevent me marrying his daughter that he sends you to drive me into a trap?"


Saturday: Gone all day. Book signing at the Arizona Renaissance Festival. :-)


If anyone would like to start a Summary Sunday on their own blog, you're welcome to share my idea. All I ask is that you link back to my original blog link. Maybe we can start a new meme (rhymes with "cream") for working writers!

2 comments:

Mary Gray said...

Aww, I just looked at your pics from the festival. What a wonderful opportunity!! You look so happy!

Joyce DiPastena said...

I'm always happy when I'm at the Renaissance Festival. Selling a few books was nice, too. ;-)