Sunday, March 14, 2010

Summary Sunday

Some writers I know write much faster than I do. Some writers I know write slower. Some writers I know write more hours a day than I do. Some writers I know write less. One thing I've learned. I cannot successfully complete a new book if I worry about comparing myself to others, therefore...I write the number of words a day that I write. I write the number of hours a week that I write. When my efforts feel so small that I sometimes wonder if it's worth it to continue, I take this verse as my mantra:

"Out of small things proceeds that which is great." (Doctrine & Covenants 64:33)

Here is a weekly summary of my often "small" writing efforts. And just for fun, I'm throwing in one "new" sentence a day from my daily writing. These sentences may or may not make the final editing cut when all is said and done, so enjoy them while you can!

Thanks for joining me on my journey!

Monday: 874 words

Sentence: She stood again at the head of the stairs, straining to follow him into the shadows of the Great Hall.


Tuesday: 1292 words


Sentence: "I'd have been more than happy to probe your throbbing, swollen ankle for a broken bone."


Wednesday: 1118 words


Sentence: She blamed the doubtful look on his face on the patched gown the innkeeper's wife had lent her.


Friday: retooling chapter


Sentence: "Why not north," Bricot said, "to Anjou or Touraine?"


Saturday: 1095 words


Sentence: All but Sir Marcus applauded him, but Sir Marcus gave a nod of his head and allowed Sir Randall to pass a few coins to his daughters, which they merrily tossed into Bricot's cap.


If anyone would like to start a Summary Sunday on their own blog, you're welcome to share my idea. All I ask is that you link back to my original blog link. Maybe we can start a new meme (rhymes with "cream") for working writers!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Isn't there some Chinese proverb that goes something like "Mountains are removed by first taking away pebbles"? At any rate, slow and steady wins the race. I think I have also heard that 90% of those who start a book never even finish it. I think you are way ahead of most no matter how slowly you write. : )

Anonymous said...

I write slow too, and some days I can't find the time to write at all. I think my days of getting a book completed in 2 to 3 months are over. It's hard to accept, but I'm trying. *sigh*

Your sentences are wonderful, Joyce. I'm sure this book is going to be fabulous!

Joyce DiPastena said...

Thanks for your support, Heidi and MM! I feel like a snail with my writing, but I suppose if I keep at it, I'll eventually wind up with a book. LOL!

MM, I can't even IMAGINE writing a book in 2 to 3 months!