Sunday, June 20, 2010

What Am I Reading for My 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge?

Okay. Bow Street Gentleman was an interesting "old read". I was surprised at how little I remembered from this book, but in spite of a good sprinkling of editing errors, I enjoyed reading it again. It reminded me how differently romances (and this was listed as a romance) are written these days. Time was (see Bow Street Gentleman) the hero and heroine didn't have to appear on nearly every page together for a book to be considered a "romance". In fact, the heroine might not even be mentioned in the first one-fourth of the book. And a historical romance could even include some actual (gasp!) history!

Yes, I quite enjoyed it. But it's time to move on to a "new read" now. That honor falls to a book I've been waiting for over a year to come out in print: See No Evil, My Pretty Lady, by romantic suspense author, Miss Mae. This title has apparently been out for some time as an e-book, but I don't have an e-book reader--not only can I not afford one, I prefer the feel of an old fashioned book in my hands! So the minute I learned See No Evil, My Pretty Lady was finally available in paperback form, I snapped up a copy. (An autographed copy, no less. Thank you, Miss Mae!)

Here's the blurb for See No Evil, My Pretty Lady:

New maid Dorcy Edwards flees the scene of where her employer’s body is found. His murder sparks a chain of macabre events. Cloistered on a remote island with five strangers, including Gareth Davenport, her late employer’s brooding, but darkly handsome heir, Dorcy encounters baffling questions with what she fears may be terrifying answers. Who cut the telegraph lines? Who left a mutilated animal carcass outside her bedroom door? What is the reason for Gareth’s black gloves and eye patch? Can he be “Jack the Ripper”, the madman suspected to be Mr. Davenport’s killer? Dorcy must solve the mystery, and soon, or her growing attraction for Gareth could be her very death sentence.


(Come on. Who can resist a Jack the Ripper Story?)


I will share a Tuesday Teaser from See No Evil, My Pretty Lady on Tuesday.




If you'd like to join my 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge, its not too late! Click here and here for more information. And remember, there are prizes involved if you join us! :-) 

No comments: