Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tuesday Teaser

Tuesday Teaser is a weekly bookish meme (rhymes with “cream"), hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. (I’ve borrowed it from LDS Women’s Book Review.) Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share at least two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!

I'm adapting the rules slightly. I'll be quoting some random lines from the last chapter I read before I post a teaser. I'm a slow reader, so you may get multiple teasers per book. Here's my second teaser from King John:

'Do you know,' says the biographer of William Marshal, 'why King John was unable to keep the love of his people? It was because Lupescar maltreated them, and pillaged them as though he were in enemy territory.' This was no mere idle gossip. It is easy to understand how the Normans felt when the abbess of Caen can be seen offering the king 40 marks for protection against Lupescar and for having him restore what had been taken from herself and from the tenants of the abbey's estates.

From King John, by W.L. Warren, p 91

(Yes, I'm reading this book very slowly. That's because I'm stopping to make research notes in nearly all the margins!)

If you'd like to share a teaser from a book you're currently reading, I'd love you to do so in the comment section. And you don't even have to share it on a Tuesday! Be sure to include the title, author, and page number in case others would like to check out the book you're reading.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

From "The Fourth Nephite" by Jeffrey S. Savage: I ran my hands across my feet, and there was no pain. Stretching my legs, I realized my muscles were no longer sore either.
"Okay," I said, breathing in deep gasps. "There has to be an explanation for this. I have no stinking idea what the explanantionis, but I'm sure there is one."
Much lighter reading than yours, Joyce, but I'm enjoying it.

Tina Scott, author, artist said...

Sounds a little too deep for me. Here's a bit from Eyes Like Mine by Julie Wright. "Liz smiled, trying to cover her disappointment...Well, what did she expect? Did she really think Constance would answer the door?
In a way, she had almost expected it, and felt let down over the fact that this little boy was here instead."
Constance, Liz's great-great-grandmother was sent forward in time, and got to know the reason for her pioneer suffering first hand.