Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday Teaser

Tuesday Teaser is a weekly bookish meme (rhymes with “cream"), hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. (I’ve borrowed it from LDS Women’s Book Review.) Anyone can play along! Just do the following:


  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share at least two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!

I’m adapting the rules slightly: I’ll be quoting some random lines from the last chapter I read before I post my teaser. I'm a slow reader, so you may get multiple teasers per book.

I finished Henry Plantagenet last night, but haven't chosen a new book to read yet, so I'm going to share with you one last teaser from this book. Actually, I'm going to share two last teasers with you, because I love Henry II, and this is my blog, so I can share as many teasers as I want. ;-)

[Henry II's] private grief was deep. When William the Marshal came to him and told him the news, he had said simply: 'I trust God for his salvation'; and on being asked to pay his son's debts, he did so, commenting: 'He has cost me enough, but I wish he had lived to cost me more.' The Angevins loved and hated with equal fervour, and Henry had been as full of kindness as his son had been of hatred.

From Henry Plantagenet, by Richard Barber, p 210

Henry was a lover of power, a miser when it came to parting with a vestige of authority; and in the use of that power his greatness lies. That he chose to devote both his power and his energy to a better ordering of the affairs of his realm, rather than to frivolous wars and crusades or to exploitation and tyranny, in an age which knew no ethics of devotion to the state, and no concept of the welfare of the people, was his outstanding virtue.

From Henry Plantagenet, by Richard Barber, p 240

If you'd like to share a Teaser (or two) from a book you're currently reading, I'd love you to do so in the comment section. And you don't even have to share it on a Tuesday! Be sure to include the title, author, and page number in case others would like to check out the book you're reading, too!

No comments: