Saturday, January 30, 2010

What Am I Reading for My 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge?

I just finished reading He Walked the Americas, by L. Taylor Hansen, an "old" book for my 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge.

Now on to another "new" book! I don't recall where I stumbled across it, but it must have been in my TBR pile for a considerable time, for alas, Apollo's Child is no longer in print! That "Alas!", is for you, not for me, because although I've only read one chapter so far, I anticipate this being a thoroughly enjoyable read and I'm fortunate enough to have a copy. You, "Alas!", will have to go hunt up a used one if you feel inclined to check out this book. (The copyright date is 1989, but it's doubtful that I bought my copy quite that far back.)

From the chapter I've read so far, I would classify Apollo's Child, by Joan Smith, as a Young Adult novel. Here's a description from the book jacket blurb:

For a Greek medical student on the island of Cos in 418 BC, life is exciting and demanding. Philo, apprenticed to Hippocrates the physician, is one of a lively group of students which includes Nicodemus, arrogant but humorous, and cynical Timocrates, ambitious for Olympic glory. Besides their work they must deal with false healers, sly herb gatherers, and people who wish them ill. They are faced too with the victims of earthquake and epidemic.


When family tragedy besets Philo, he realises the strength of the bond that exists between himself and Xenia, the slave girl. But, "People should manage their own lives," says Xenia, "I will make mine as I want it." And she wants to be free.


Can anyone in these times fashion their own destiny? In this unusual, richly woven novel, Xenia, Philo and his fellow students must endure many strange twists of fate before they find the answers to this question.


Stop by on Tuesday, and I'll have read enough to share a Tuesday Teaser with you!

If you'd like to join my 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge, its not too late! Click here and here for more information. And remember, there are prizes involved if you join us! :-)

No comments: