Saturday, January 15, 2011

What Am I Reading Now?

Hand of Fate, by Lis Wiehl, was a fun and interesting read. I don’t read a lot of contemporary mystery books, so I may not be the best judge of them, but this one was fun for me because I watch Lis Wiehl regularly on The O’Reilly Factor. I’ve always liked her, even when I don’t always agree with her, but this novel gave me some interesting insights into who she is as a person. (There was a surprising faith aspect to this book that I wasn’t anticipating.)

Now on to my next new read. I’m starting my second Rosemary Sutcliff book, Knight’s Fee, and so far all I can say is, “Man! I wish I could write like this!” I never will in a million years, but the sin of covetousness won’t stop me from sitting back and enjoying a master storyteller’s ride.

Knight’s Fee, back cover blurb:

Hidden behind the battlements on the roof of the gatehouse crouched Randal the dog-boy, watching for the arrival of Hugh Goch, the new Lord of Arundel Castle. As the cavalcade approached the great gateway, a small thing happened; Randal dropped the fig he had been eating on to the nose of Hugh's mettlesome horse. It was this seemingly trivial incident that first set the boy, whose days had been spent among the castle hounds, on the path to a new life; it was the first step in his rise from dog-boy to knight--though the price he had to pay for this final honour was a heavy one.


Stop by on Tuesday to read a Tuesday Teaser from Knight's Fee!


2 comments:

Anthony said...

Glad you are enjoying Knight's Fee by Rosemary Sutcliff! I await teasers .....more about her at www.rosemarysutcliff.wordpress.com ...and note where my avatar comes from (KF!)

Joyce DiPastena said...

Anthony, Rosemary Sutcliff is a new discovery for me, Knight's Fee being the second book of hers I have read. (The other being Flame-Colored Taffeta.) I also have The Shield Ring in my TBR pile. I'm off to check out your Rosemary Sutcliff blog right now!