Friday, January 28, 2011

Get to Know the Reviewer: Mindy Holt of LDS Women's Book Review

I’ve got another fun reviewer interview to share with you today! Mindy Holt is one of four reviewers at LDS Women’s Book Review. I’m trying hard to get interviews with the other three reviewers over there. I hope to be able to share those with you in the future. But today is Mindy’s day to shine!

JDP: Did your mother read to you as a child?

Mindy: Yes!  We had mountains of books to read. I would sit in my room with piles of story books and read, read, read.

JDP: Do you remember a favorite book from your childhood?

Mindy: I loved Ira Sleeps Over, Best Friends for Francis, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Miss Nelson is Missing, Strega Nona, George and Martha's, Mary-Alice Operator Number Nine, A Tree Full of Pigs. (Sorry that was a lot.) When I was older I loved Judy Blume & Beverly Cleary.

JDP: A list like that is pretty much what I’d expect from someone who grew up to be a book reviewer. ;-) Name a favorite author as an adult.

Mindy: My aunt is Dorothy M. Keddington, so I of course, love her. It's hard to pick a favorite, but here's a couple: Suzanne Collins, Michael Scott, Eion Colfer, Jessica Day George, Brandon Mull, JK Rowling, Stephenie Meyer ... I could go on and on

JDP: Share a book you’ve read multiple times.

Mindy: All the Harry Potters, and Twilight Saga

JDP: Kindle, Nook, or good old hard copy?

Mindy: Hard copy all the way

JDP: (Ahhh, my kind of girl.) What’s your favorite place to read?

Mindy: My bed, or couch.  I have a handy porta-book stand that's great!

JDP: What are your three favorite reading genres.

Mindy: YA Fantasy, JF Fantasy, sci-fi

JDP: What’s the last book you read?

Mindy: Summer in Paris, by Michele Ashman Bell

JDP: What are you’re reading now?

Mindy: Star Prophecy, by Joan Sowards

JDP: What’s next on your reading list?

Mindy: I really want to re-read the Hunger Games (Suzanne Collinss), the seventh Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer),  and Key-Lime Pie (Josi Kilpack)

JDP: What you would like to read more of? (author, genre, etc)

Mindy: I just read whatever I want, when I want.

JDP: I like that reading policy! Share a favorite book that you’ve read in the last 12 months.

Mindy: Queen in Exile (Donna Hatch), The Help (Kathryn Stockett), A Town Like Alice (Nevil Shute)", Hunger Games Series (Suzanne Collins), The Stone Traveler (Kathi Oram Peterson)

More about Mindy! : I was born and raised in Salt Lake. I was married in my twentieth year (LOL), and have been married for almost 16 years. My husband is a Captain for Sandy and Bluffdale Fire. He works so hard to support his family. We love him so much. I have three gorgeous girls, 12, 9, and 6. I work for a pre-school a couple days a week, while my girls are at school. In my spare time I read, read, read. And, I squeeze the Wii in there too. I've always loved Fantasy and sci-fi. My favorite movies growing up were "Star Wars". To this day, I can still quote episodes IV, V, and VI. I'm sure that is where my love of fantasies came from. I made my family (with help from my friend), Jedi Cloaks for Halloween. I'm also a huge Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fan.  I also have a library obsession. I go a few times a week, scouting out books. I enjoy reading YA and JF so when my girls ask me to help them find a book, I'll know what to tell them. I also love, love, love Disneyland. There is no place like it. I cry when it's time to leave.

Our review website it www.ldswbr.blogspot.com  I've been with ldswbr (LDS Women's Book Review) for almost a year.  My first review was on my birthday in April. I've loved every minute of it, and the ladies I review with are priceless.  We review LDS fiction, but also include non-LDS fiction and non fiction.

8 comments:

Why Not? Because I Said So! said...

Great interview!!! I love knowing Mindy. We have a lot of fun together with LDS Womens Book Review. Mindy and I have very similar tastes in books. We also see each other a lot at the library. LOL!

Joyce, I would love to be interviewed any time. I think you are great and you are one of my favorite authors.

Shanda said...

Wonderful interview! Even though I think I know Mindy pretty well, I still learned a few new things about her. :)

Mindy has added so much to LDSWBR and we're so glad to have her reviewing with us!

Shanda :)

PS- I'll send my info to you someday soon, Joyce. Mindy is always super on-the-ball. :)

Jen Coccimiglio said...

Great interview! We must have had very similar childhoods. Those are all favorite books as well.

Joyce DiPastena said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed the interview with Mindy. It was so fun for me to get to know a little bit about her! No rush on those interview questions, Shanda. Sheila, YOUR interview questions are on the way. LOL!

kbrebes said...

Fun interview!

Anonymous said...

As always Joyce a great interview.
Mindy sounds like a lot of fun and I love that she has 3 girls. Me to. Mine are grown, but were so much fun and still are. I'll bet she's great with YW. Love your reading genre.

Michele Holmes said...

Thanks for the fun post, Joyce. Can't wait to meet you, Mindi. Just before reading this I was crunching numbers to see how to make Disneyland work again this year (glad to know I'm not the only one who feels depression setting in when we walk out those gates on the last day).

And some of the most frequent journal entries from my youth . . . "Saw Return of the Jedi for the third time today. Han Solo is so---" Guess I was more influenced by the romance thread than the sci fi :)

Joan Sowards said...

Thank you for the interview, Mindy, and letting us get to know you better. You sound busy and I'm amazed you fit reading in with a family and all you do.

We appreciate all the reviewers at LDSWBR. You do authors a great service.