Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Tips for helping someone who's depressed

This is a cross-post from my My LDS Corner blog. I decided to post it here as well, because I think it's important.

***************

I just came across this wonderful article and wanted to share it, because I know I'm not the only out there who has been depressed and/or known people who are. Even when I'm "less depressed," I can be guilty of saying the wrong thing to those who are in deeper than I may be at one time or another. I can't share the whole article because it's copyrighted, but I'll share one tip and then give you the link where you can read the rest.

In a service oriented church like The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this is a too-easy piece of advice to fall back on when trying to help someone who is depressed. Yes, the advice is true, but here is how it is best handled.

7. Don’t say: You need to serve someone.

Instead, try: I’m having trouble in my calculus course, and I know you’re good at math. Can you help me with a few problems?


This is along the same lines as “you should take a walk,” but I felt it deserved its own special category because of its frequency. Helping others can do a world of good for YDLO (Your Depressed Loved One), but it can be hard for them to perceive that, making it difficult to find the motivation to serve. Expressing confidence in their ability and presenting them with an immediate and simple way to serve is a great way to reach in and pull them out of their depressed thought patterns.

2 comments:

Carol N Wong said...

Thank you for posting this. I have heard them all!
Great to have different suggestions to help someone who is depressed.

Joyce DiPastena said...

I thought this was a wonderful article. I'm glad you found it helpful, Carol.