Sunday, April 1, 2012

What Am I Reading Now?

I finished Isabelle Webb: The Pharaoh's Daughter, by N.C. Allen, the third finalist for a 2011 Whitney Award in historical fiction. I enjoyed the book, but be warned: it's the second volume in a three-part series, so if you start here (like I did), you may run into some initial confusion about what's going on. Instead, try to start with the first book in her series, Isabelle Webb: Legend of the Jewel.

Next up, I'm reading two books, which is unusual for me, since as I may have mentioned once or twice before, I'm a very slow reader. But one is a hard copy and the other is an e-book I'm reading a little bit at a time "here and there".

The hard copy is the fourth Whitney Award finalist on my reading list, Miss Delacourt Has Her Day, by Heidi Ashworth. Here's the back cover blurb:


Ginny Delacourt felt the course of true love could not have run smoother. After all, it required only a fortnight, a pair of highwaymen, a pox quarantine, a sham betrothal, and a masquerade ball to bring Sir Anthony up to snuff. When her beloved suddenly becomes the heir to his uncle, the Duke of Marcross, protocol dictates that he drop the 'Sir' from his name. It's his uncle who insists Ginny, daughter of a lowly vicar, is not the proper bride for a future duke.

Lucinda and Lord Avery arrive on the scene to stir up trouble, and Ginny's normally manipulative Grandaunt Regina seems helpless to arrange anything, least of all a frowned-upon wedding. It's up to Anthony, with help from his fussy valet, to see to it that Ginny has her day.
The road to true love just got a little bumpier.




The second (e-)book I'm reading is A Mormon in the White House? Ten Things Every American Should Know About Mitt Romney, by Hugh Hewitt. It was written during the 2007/2008 election, but I didn't know about it at the time to read it then. Since the title is pretty self-explanatory, I won't try to hunt down a back cover blurb (there isn't one on Goodreads and since mine is an e-copy, I can't flip it over and copy it off from there), but I'll share a Tuesday Teaser from both books with you on Tuesday!

1 comment: