Monday, March 21, 2011

What Am I Reading Now?

I finished The Chariot of Israel a few days ago and am deep into the second volume of Rosemary Sutcliff's Roman Britain trilogy, The Silver Branch. I'm not sure I'm as much in love with it as I fell with The Eagle of the Ninth, but I'm enjoying it all the same. What I do quite like about it is learning about the historical figures. I'm familiar with a great deal of ancient Roman history, enough to know that Rome was deeply involved in Britain, but my historical studies haven't taken me in any great depth to that island until after the fall of Rome and the beginning of the Middle Ages. However, I was familiar with the name Constantius as the father of Constantine the Great. And so when I discovered in the introductory "Historical Note" that Constantius was going to play an important part in The Silver Branch, I became very excited at this opportunity to learn more about him, even through a fictional retelling.

Here's the back cover blurb for The Silver Branch:

Violence and unrest are sweeping through Roman Britain. Justin and Flavius find themselves caught up in the middle of it all when they discover a plot to overthrow the Emperor. In fear for their lives, they gather together a tattered band of men and lead them into the thick of battle, to defend the honor of Rome. But will they be in time to save the Emperor?

Come back tomorrow (Tuesday) and I'll share a Tuesday Teaser with you!

No comments: