Friday, June 24, 2011

Get to Know the Author: Jennifer Shirk

Today's Get to Know You guest is Jennifer Shirk. Jennifer writes "fun, feel-good romantic fiction". Welcome, Jennifer!

JDP: Did your mother read to you as a child?

Jennifer: Well, surprisingly enough not really. I should really give her a hard time about that. LOL Fortunately, I read to my own child from the day she was born. J

JDP: Do you remember a favorite book from your childhood?

Jennfer: I LOVED all the E.B. White books: Stuart Little, Charlotte’s Web and Trumpet of the Swan. I received those books as a gift and I read every one of them more than once. And I was a big Superfudge Judy Blume fan. J

JDP: Name a favorite author as an adult.

Jennifer: Hands down Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Her writing is funny and romantic and her stories never let me down.

JDP: Share a book you’ve read multiple times.

Jennifer: Honey Moon by Susan Elizabeth Philips. It’s a humorous book but quite tragic too. Yet, she still manages to wrap it up in a nice happy ending.

JDP: Kindle, Nook, or good old hard copy?

Jennifer: iPad and hard copy. J I find I read them both about equally.

JPD: Ooooo, I’m so jealous. I sooooo want an iPad! Still savin’ up. What’s your favorite place to read?

Jennifer: My bedroom (it’s the warmest room in the house) and my study because I can feel like I’m not totally withdrawn from what is going on with the family. J

JDP: What are your three favorite reading genres.

Jennifer: Romance (particularly romantic comedy), Young Adult, and Chick-lit.

JDP: What’s the last book you read?

Jennifer: Holiday Headlines by R.M. Gilbert (an ebook)

JDP: What are you reading now?

Jennifer: Susan Andersen’s Just for Kicks

JDP: What’s next on your reading list?

Jennifer: The new Susan Elizabeth Phillips book: Call Me Irresistible.

JDP: What you would like to read more of? (author, genre, etc)

Jennifer: Well, I just don’t think there are enough humorous contemporaries and not enough sweet romances either.

JDP: Share a favorite book that you’ve read in the last 12 months

Jennifer: Oh, my. Let me think… I have to say my favorite was a YA: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. It was kind of romantic, funny, and had a little mystery to it too.

More about Jennifer! : Jennifer Shirk has a bachelor degree in pharmacy-which has in NO WAY at all helped her with her writing career. But she likes to point it out, since it shows romantic-at-hearts come in all shapes, sizes, and mind-numbing educations.

She writes sweet romantic comedies and won third place in the RWA 2006 NYC's Kathryn Hayes Love and Laughter Contest with her book, The Role of a Lifetime.

She's also a board member for Straight Ahead Ministries, an organization involved in helping spread the gospel and aiding medical and pharmacy students in Russia. She resides in a beach resort in NJ, and when she's not involved in all the above, she's taking care of her most treasured possessions: her husband, daughter, and four hermit crabs. You can learn more about Jennifer on her website and blog

Books by Jennifer Shirk:

The Role of a Lifetime
Georgie on His Mind

Summary of Georgie on His Mind:



Georgie Mayer has no boyfriend and rarely goes out. In short, she needs a life. Since she's graduated college and returned back home, her brother's protectiveness has been in overdrive, and she hasn't been able to have any fun, never mind get a date.


So what's a poor particularly attractive girl to do in a situation like this? The only thing she can do: find him a woman!


He'll thank her for it in the end. That is, if his best friend Walt Somers would stop interfering with her plans. The handsome pharmacist has made no secret that he doesn't approve of what she's up to. Unfortunately, having Walt hanging around does strange things to her mind, and suddenly she can't help but take a healthy interest in him. But how can Georgie entertain thoughts of the two of them together when Walt still treats her like his best friend's little sister?



No comments: