Friday, April 9, 2010

What Am I Reading for My 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge?

Well, I've finally closed the covers once more on The Crystal Cave, by Mary Stewart. This was an old friend that was very difficult to leave! For the record, my very favorite chapter in the whole book remains Chapter 12 of "The Falcon". It's not an "action" chapter or a "magical" chapter. But to me, it is a very touching chapter and one that I love so much I have read it many, many more times over the years than I've ever read the entire book. Do any of you have favorite sections of books that you read over and over again? Just sections because you love them?


Anyway, I simply can't help myself. Though I know (having read it before) that no sequel can ever quite measure up to the "young Merlin" I grew to love in The Crystal Cave, I am nevertheless abandoning my strict "new book/old book" policy, and am going to read two "old" books in a row: I am following up The Crystal Cave with Mary Stewart's sequel, The Hollow Hills. At some point, I'll read two "new" books in a row to make up for it. I promise!


Here is the back cover blurb:


The countryside of England and Wales in the Dark Ages forms an almost tangible background to this wonderfully and powerfully realised picture of an ancestral hero coming to manhood. "The Hollow Hills" is the brilliant portrayal of the young Arthur from his birth to accession to the throne of Britain. And behind and around him is the strong, yet vulnerable figure of Merlin who sees and knows so much but is powerless to prevent the strife and violence of his turbulent times. "The Hollow Hills" was first published in 1973 and tells the story of Merlin's guardianship of Arthur. He leads Arthur to the sword that tests his claim to power and the crown.


Once again, because of its length, this is likely to be a multiple Tuesday Teaser of a book. For your first glimpse of The Hollow Hills, stop by here on Tuesday!


If you'd like to join my 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge, its not too late! Click here and here for more information. And remember, there are prizes involved if you join us! :-) 


No comments: