Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What Am I Reading for My 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge?

I promised to read two "old reads" back to back to make up for the two back to back "new reads" I read in June. Henry Plantagenet, by Richard Barber, was the first of these "old reads", which I finished earlier this week. My second "old read" for my reading challenge is Friday's Child, by Georgette Heyer.

First, the poem, so you will understand why Ms. Heyer chose this title:

Monday's child is fair in face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for its living;
And a child that's born on Christmas Day,
Is fair and wise, and good and gay.

From Halliwell's Popular Rhymes and Nursery Tales.
















Here's the back cover blurb to my copy of Friday's Child:

The dashing young Lord Sheringham--known to other young bloods as Sherry--was in a towering rage. He had to marry in order to come into his fortune, and he swore to take the first woman he saw.

She chanced to be Hero Wantage, an ill-treated and neglected orphan in a neighboring household. Her tearful story reminded him of his intentions, and he bundled her off to London where Hero--soon to be nicknamed Kitten--proved to be a quick and almost too apt pupil in the strange and sophisticated ways of society.


I will share a Tuesday Teaser from Friday's Child on Tuesday.

If you'd like to join my 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge, it's not too late! Click here and here for more information. And remember, there are prizes involved if you join us! :-)

1 comment:

kbrebes said...

Sweet idea, Joyce! Great challenge.