Sunday, August 22, 2010

What Am I Reading for My 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge?

I've finished "new read" Trapped, by Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen, on Friday. Yesterday, while browsing through my bookshelves for my next "old read", I came across a four book paperback series called: The Plantagenets, by Juliet Dymoke. I remember collecting and reading these books while I was in college, undoubtedly lured by my fascination, even then, with the Plantagenet kings of England. What I can't recall now is whether I saved these books all these years because I actually loved the books, or whether I kept them simply because of their Plantagenet connection. So, I decided it's time to re-read one of these books to find out: Is it still a "keeper" or is it not? Time and reading will tell!

Here's the back cover blurb for volume 1 of The Plantagenets: A Pride of Kings, by Juliet Dymoke:

King Stephen of Blois nearly hanged him.
King Henry II died in his arms.
Young King Henry falsely accused him of treachery.
King Richard bestowed upon him the highest honors.
King John betrayed him.

Landless and penniless, William Marshal became the most celebrated knight in all of Europe, his prowess on the tourney fields enabling him to rise to power and serve five kings of England. Throughout their reigns, through both fortune and disfavor, William Marshal never swerved in his loyalty to the quarrelsome, unpredictable, autocratic brood of Henry II, founder of the great Plantagenet dynasty.

A Pride of Kings is the first of The Plantagenets, a series of historical novels which tell the story of the Plantagenet monarchs through the eyes of the men and women who served them, loved them, or betrayed them, and in so doing, helped shape the events of English history.

I will share a Tuesday Teaser from A Pride of Kings on Tuesday.

If you'd like to join my 2010 New/Old Reading Challenge, it's not too late! Click here and here for more information. And remember, there are prizes involved if you join us!

No comments: